St. Louis warehouse facilities offer a number of advantages for businesses needing warehousing or third-party logistics services. St. Louis warehouse distribution centers can efficiently and cost effectively store and ship goods regionally, nationally and internationally.
Location, Location, Location
- St. Louis is the largest metropolitan area closest to the population center of the United States (in 2012 the mean center of U.S. population was in Texas County in Southern Missouri, according to the Census Bureau). The geographic center of the U.S. is also nearby, but slightly farther west in Lebanon, Kansas.
- St. Louis warehouse distribution centers are within 600 miles of the following:
- 52 percent of all manufacturing plants in the U.S.
- 50 percent of all U.S. households
- The six fastest growing major metropolitan areas in the U.S.
- San Antonio
- St. Louis is the third largest rail center in the country. It is the westernmost terminus for CSX and Norfolk Southern, the major Eastern railroads, and the easternmost terminus of BNSF and UP, the major Western railroads. The city is also served by Kansas City Southern and Canadian National.
- Four major interstate highways crisscross the St. Louis area. These include: I-70, I-64, I-44 and I-55. I-70 is a major east-west artery for interstate trucking spanning more than 2,000 miles and connecting 10 states, running from Maryland to Utah. I-64 also runs east-west from Chesapeake, Virginia to Wentzville, Missouri, a western suburb of St. Louis. I-44 links the Midwest to the Southwest running from St. Louis to Wichita Falls, Texas. I-55 provides a corridor for north-south traffic running from Chicago to the outskirts of New Orleans.
- St. Louis is the nation’s third largest inland port and the northernmost ice-free port on the Mississippi River. A total of 29 major industrial centers can be reached from St. Louis by barge. With no lock and dam facilities between St. Louis and New Orleans, barge operators can assemble very large tows and move huge amounts of bulk cargo between St. Louis and New Orleans deep water port on the Gulf of Mexico for international ocean freight.
- St. Louis is within 3 hours by air of most cities in North America. The metro region is served by five regional airports: Lambert St. Louis International Airport and Mid America St. Louis Airport for commercial travel and air freight, and three smaller regional airports that primarily serve corporate and personal aircraft.
- St. Louis offers highly competitive labor costs. Approximately 80,000 people in the St. Louis region are employed in transportation and material movement jobs and the median hourly wage for these workers is $13.83 versus the national median of $14.06.
- Overall operating costs for St. Louis warehouse facilities are the 6th lowest in the nation according to Bizcosts.com, which factored labor, real estate, construction costs, utilities, shipping costs and taxes in its ranking.
- Missouri is one of the top 10 pro-business states according to Pollina Corporate Real Estate.
- Missouri’s diesel fuel tax is the 5th lowest in the nation.
- Missouri had the lowest gasoline and diesel fuel prices in the nation in 2012 according to AAA.
- Missouri has no inventory tax and ranks 6th best in the U.S. for low property tax rates, and the state has the 8th lowest corporate income tax rate.
FW Warehousing is based in the St. Louis metropolitan area in Sauget, Illinois. It currently operates a number of St. Louis warehouse distribution centers, as well as warehouse distribution centers in Missouri, Illinois and Indiana. These warehouse facilities total more than four million square feet. Founded in 1949 with a focus on food-grade storage, the firm later broadened its services to include cold storage, general warehousing and chemical storage. In addition, FW has more than 60 years of experience in third-party logistics and has been ranked in the top 100 Third Party Logistic Companies in the country by Inbound Logistics magazine.
For more information about FW Warehousing 3PL capabilities, visit the FW Warehousing website.