While only six percent of retail goods were bought online in 2013, the statistic represents a 17% growth rate over the previous year. Online retailers can grow at double digit rates year after year because they constantly adapt their business model to the ever-changing market. The innovation and flexibility demonstrated by online retailers encourages businesses to continue investing in eCommerce.
Efficiency with eCommerce
- Online stores are open 24-hours day for business.
- Online stores have better prices for their products than offline businesses.
- Many online stores are niche retailers with a wider variety of products in a distinct segment.
- Online stores allow for discreet shopping.
One of the most straightforward and effective avenues for online retailing is using e-Commerce, which allows customers to buy products right off a business’ website.
Jeff Bezos, Founder of Amazon, said,”We are stubborn on vision. We are flexible on details.”
Flexibility with eCommerce
eCommerce has the ability to change quickly to trends which makes it the ideal online business opportunity. Online retailers can:
- Rapidly change a catalog
- Quickly rebrand their product
- Avoid geographical limitations
- Immediately adjust to economic and technological changes
- Easily co-opt innovations into their business
- Use an infinite amount of space
A flexible, eCommerce-based company has the ability to expand or contract as the market dictates. While brick-and-mortar retailers still handle more than 90% of retail sales, online retailers continue to attract more shoppers and business investors. When a business is flexible, it is possible to weather challenges in the market.
Want More Warehousing Tips?
FW Warehousing is headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri with Midwest warehouse distribution centers in Kansas City, Indianapolis and St. Louis totaling more than four million square feet. Founded in 1949 with a focus on food-grade storage, FW later broadened its services to include contract warehousing, dry storage, hazardous material and chemical storage, temperature-controlled storage, product distribution and B2B and B2C fulfillment.
FW Warehousing has more than 50 years of experience in third-party 3PL logistics and has been ranked in the top 100 Third Party Logistic Companies in the country by Inbound Logistics magazine